Additional pediatric resources: GeneralPediatrics.com | PediatricEducation.org | SearchingPediatrics.com
Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D.
Peer Review Status: Internally Peer Reviewed
5 MHz linear in the neonate abdomen
3 + 5 MHz curved in the infant abdomen
Views to Take:
1. Hepatic veins going into the inferior vena cava
2. Left lobe of the liver and left portal vein
3. Right lobe of the liver and right portal vein
4. Right lobe of the liver and gall bladder
5. Pancreas - document position of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) and superior mesenteric vein (SMV). The SMV should be anterior and to the right of the SMA. If it is not in the correction position, you should do an UGI to rule out malrotation.
1. Left lobe of liver
2. Aorta/celiac axis/SMA - view may be obtained by scanning coronal from left side and angling slightly anterior. Measure the distance between the anterior wall of the aorta and the posterior wall of the liver. If the distance is greater than 1.7 times the diameter of the aorta the distance is abnormally increased and this can be due to lymphadenopathy, varices, or fat if the patient is on steroids.
4. Right lobe of liver and right kidney. As a rule of thumb, the liver edge should not extend below the edge of the kidney.
5. Spleen and measure it. As a rule of thumb, the spleen edge should not extend below the edge of the kidney.
Kidneys transverse and longitudinal - measure them
Pelvis in female
Transverse and longitudinal, check uterus and ovaries and for free fluid
See References Chapter.
Section Top | Title Page
Please send us comments by filling out our Comment Form.
All contents copyright © 1992-2019 Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D. and the authors. All rights reserved.
"Virtual Pediatric Hospital", the Virtual Pediatric Hospital logo, and "A digital library of pediatric information" are all Trademarks of Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D.
Virtual Pediatric Hospital is funded in whole by Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D. Advertising is not accepted.
Your personal information remains confidential and is not sold, leased, or given to any third party be they reliable or not.
The information contained in Virtual Pediatric Hospital is not a substitute for the medical care and advice of your physician. There may be variations in treatment that your physician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.